When you are an administrator, you need some tools to do your job 😉 In order to managing your websites, you should consider to use these tools.
1. SSh/Telnet client:
Help you connect to roots server and manage your server with commands.
My favorite ssh client is Putty, its FREE and you can download here: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
To access your root server, you must have: ips, connect Port (default:22) , password and username (default:root)
2. FTP Clients:
Sometime you need to connect to root directory of your host to upload/download website source, you can do this via Files Manager feature of your web control panel (Cpanel, kloxo, Directadmin…) but with FTP clients, everything is easier without web browsers.
Example: Filezilla (FREE) or CuteFTP (License) ….
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.
Official website and its features: http://filezilla-project.org/client_features.php
Supported platforms: Linux, windows, Mac OS X
To access FTP server, you must have: ips, Port: 23, password and username
3. Firefox and Firebug, Yslow, Page Speed add-on:
Firefox is highly recommended web browser for webmasters. Have alot useful add-ons for administrators
Firebug: The most popular and powerful web development tool
- Inspect HTML and modify style and layout in real-time
- Accurately analyze network usage and performance
- Extend Firebug and add features to make Firebug even more powerful
- Get the information you need to get it done with Firebug.
Official website: http://getfirebug.com/
Yslow: Grade your web pages with YSlow
Grade based on the performance of the page (you can define your own ruleset)
Summary of the page components
Chart with statistics
Tools for analyzing performance, including Smush.it™ and JSLint
Get Yslow here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yslow/
Page speed: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/download
This addon shows you how your web pages load, so you will know how to improve your loading speed.
4. Xampp or Wamp:
I personally use Xampp and it have all features i want for my projects
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
Download here : http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html. ITs Free.
With Xampp, you can simulate a web server on your pc/laptop, so you can work with your website offline before bring it up online. You website will run on Localhost instead of remote hosting.
If you plan to use Dreamweave , Xampp will be useful for you.
5. Source code editors:
As an admin, you need to know basic about progamming languages such as HTML, PHP, ASp and some tools help you edit website source code.
– Notepad (Windows Text editor)
– Notepad ++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License. Here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.1.html
– DreamWeave: A adobe product for web designers
6. Image Editors:
– Windows Paint (It comes with Windows by default)
Next time, i will give you my SEO tools list 🙂 Thank you